Wednesday, October 20, 2010

First look at Drupal 7

I noticed on slashdot earlier today that a new version of Drupal is suppose to be... coming out?  I guess it was a book about the new version, even though it is still in beta stage. 

Yet, I couldn't help but ask myself.. wtf is a Drupal?!  I snagged the latest beta, threw it on a webserver and starting digging in.  I'm going to have to admit, I'm pretty new to "content management systems"... in english that basically means it attempts to organize and make websites for you so that you don't have to sit around coding php and talking to databases all while making it look pretty.  It seems neat so far, integrating kind of like a blog, comment, forum system all smashed together with the ability to put "blocks" down for content.

I played with it for probably about an hour and I suppose I'll look in to it more later, but it seems to have promise.  I think I agree with another reviewer that the administration of drupal needs a little work still with buttons all over the place; sometimes they are on the left, sometimes in the upper right, sometimes this color, sometimes that color... it's not very stream-lined... but I suppose I could get use to it.

Drupal can be found here:
http://drupal.org/
The latest beta, at the time of this writing, is here:
http://drupal.org/node/934174

No comments:

Post a Comment